Let's talk #WIP!
August 31st is Wear it Purple Day. It’s a day where we celebrate the LGBTIQ+ community, particularly youth and how we can empower change together!
Wear it Purple began in 2010, after a global response to stories of bullying and harassment and it's impact on teenagers, which led to rainbow youth taking their own life. This included Tyler Clementi, who took his own life after being outed from a series of cyberbullying attacks. The community came together in its response, with overwhelming grief and sharing similar tragic stories from across the world.
The day has become an annual day of celebration and commemoration, Wear it Purple has grown to ensure every young person knows they are loved, they are supported and they are party of a global community.
What can I do for Wear it Purple Day?
- Encourage your school or work to Wear Purple on August 31st, it's a great way to collect gold coin donations to support LGBTIQ+ youth
- Show your Rainbow Pride! Check out our posters, ribbons and badges to show your visibility!
- Check out local events celebrating the day - such as charity screenings, BBQ's or visit any Huxtaburger store in Victoria, where $1 will be donated to Minus18 from every Huxtaburger!
- Come down to Federation Square on the day for a massive photo with LGBTIQ organisations across the state! Be there 8am on Friday, 31st August
- Educate - organise a workshop for your school or office, our workshops are all about building empathy, understanding identity and empowering young people to be the change they want to see.
- Take 5 for a loved one! It's a great way to open up a discussion about mental health and check in with your friends & family.
Everybody has the right to be proud of who they are, show your support on August 31st and help empower younger generations!