We're on the hunt for a Volunteer & Youth Coordinator! Youth volunteers are at the very heart of what Minus18 does, so the Coordinator role that oversees and supports our incredible volunteers is a vital and important role in our organisation. If you're passionate about inclusion, LGBTIQ communities, working with young people, and you're a warm-hearted, organised and empathetic person, we want to hear from you!
Applications close: 19 May, 2019.
- Part time or full time – this is negotiable depending on applicant's availability
- 12 month contract, with opportunities for renewal
- Location: Minus18, Collingwood office in Melbourne
- Reports to General Manager
- Salary starting at $63,626 full time salary package + super + equipment allowance
We rely heavily on the power of young volunteers (16-25 years old) to help us support LGBTIQ youth through programs and events. The Volunteer & Youth Coordinator develops close relationships with our volunteers, takes ownership of their inclusion and training within the organisation, implements strong communication channels to make them feel included, and ensures all our projects and events are safe and inclusive for all LGBTIQ young people – especially those with intersectional identities, those who are neurodiverse.
Our Volunteer & Youth Coordinator plans volunteer rosters for events, liaises with volunteers via email and on social media, plans training programs, and provides support. This role is what you make it – there is a heap of scope to build up the volunteer program, implement your own initiatives and empower volunteers within the organisation to grow into and evolve their own roles.
The Volunteer & Youth Coordinator is a positive cultural champion, both inside and outside the organisation. We’re looking for an inspiring, vibrant and incredibly caring person with lived experience and a strong understanding of LGBTIQ communities. Seriously. That last bit is super important.
Support, lead and inspire our team of high-performing volunteers
- Recruit and support youth volunteers, maintain strong, open and empathetic communication channels, and positive engagement.
- Implement actions and direction under the General Manager in accordance with the Access and Inclusion strategy for Minus18 to better meet the intersectional needs of our audience.
- Meet with other organisations in the sector that support people of colour, transgender and indigenous youth, and encourage attendance at our events.
- Work within the set organisation and funding policies and procedures, ensuring compliance of youth safety and risk obligations.
- Attend all Minus18 events, coordinate youth volunteers as well as youth workers to provide referral and peer support to event attendees.
- Implement appreciation and training initiatives to show our volunteers that they are loved and appreciated. Make them feel like part of a family!
- Develop feedback initiatives, including surveys and meetings for staff and volunteers to increase communication flow and improve the volunteer program. Again, this role is what you make it.
- Responsible for ensuring our volunteer program and events are safe and inclusive for all young people through a plan to specifically champion young people from diverse intersections of our community, including transgender youth and people of colour.
- Identify opportunities for, and coordinate volunteers to attend Minus18 engagement functions, such as hosting stalls to increase visibility and sell merchandise.
Support the Minus18 office and culture
- Responsible for all incoming office email and phone correspondence, and for maintaining a clean and well stocked office.
- Responsible for building a strong office culture, including planning social and appreciation activities for staff and volunteers.
- Support and celebrate the positive and vibrant culture of Minus18 as a youth driven organisation.
- Support Minus18 staff and volunteers in other areas, as directed by the General Manager.
Key Selection Criteria
- A minimum of Cert IV in Youth Work or related area – OR a willingness to complete this certificate upon employment.
- Strong experience working with a diverse range of intersectional LGBTIQ identities, especially people of colour and trans and gender diverse communities.
- Strong experience in team coordination and leadership of young people.
- A work ethic that is self driven and motivated.
- A proven understanding of the day to day needs and experiences of LGBTIQ young people. Lived experience is a plus!
- Awesome interpersonal skills and a demonstrated passion for Minus18’s mission to empower young people and diverse sexualities and genders.
- Cert IV in youth work or higher, or willingness to undertake this certificate upon commencement of employment.
- Successful Police background check
- Working with Children check
- Experience working with or coordinating young people / volunteers / team members
How to Apply for this Job:
- A copy of your CV
- A cover letter responding to each key selection criteria (max 2 pages)
- A short, 30 - 60 second video introducing yourself - recorded on your phone is fine!
Early applications encouraged.
We work with a diverse range of young people and audiences at Minus18. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and other people of colour, people who are neurodivergent or living with a disability and people from all parts of the LGBTIQ community.