We've teamed up with the City of Darebin to present free LGBTIQ professional development for teachers.
Want to do more for LGBTIQ students within your classroom? Want to make sure future LGBTIQ students are supported at your school?
Minus18 – Australia's largest youth-driven charity supporting queer young people – is offering free professional development training for teachers in the City of Darebin and beyond.
Minus18 training is designed to empower teachers to become leaders in inclusivity. How? By diving into the understanding the importance of inclusive language, elevating visibility for the LGBTIQ community, as well as workshopping practical techniques to enhance inclusion in your school.
This is a quick (free!) taster of our larger Minus18 professional training modules, but believe us – it's absolutely filled with up-to-date information, useful strategies, and practical skills.
We'll create a positive environment for all participants to ask questions in a judgement-free environment, and become champions for LGBTIQ people.
- LGBTIQ identities: A breakdown of key concepts, identities and definitions surrounding sex, gender and sexuality – including terms and language used within the LGBTIQ community.
- Personal stories: Minus18 workshop presenters share their own experiences and LGBTIQ identities.
- The Barriers: Understanding of the barriers that LGBTIQ youth face in their personal lives, at school and when accessing services.
- Actionable Toolkit: Attendees leave with strategies to personally and practically support LGBTIQ youth, and feel empowered to promote inclusion, stand up to discrimination, and to be role-models for young people in the classroom.
Want a free Minus18 student workshop at your school?
We haven't merely received funding from the City of Darebin to present this free teacher training. That funding also covers two free student workshops for schools in the Darebin area. Easy peasy, no strings attached – just a fun and empowering workshop for secondary school students!
T&Cs: School must be located within the City of Darebin; workshop must be booked and held before 30 November 2019; not available to primary schools.
Back to the event though. I have some questions!
What if I don't live or work in the Darebin area?
- That's okay with us! While this is funded by the City of Darebin, and we'd love to see as many Darebin teachers and school staff attend, everyone is welcome.
If I get a lot out of this workshop, am I able to book further training for my school?
- Absolutely! Our workshop team will be in attendance and ready to chat.