The Minus18 Queer Formal is coming to Adelaide and we need your help to bring it to life!
At the heart of Minus18's calendar of identity-celebrating events and activations is one SUPER important ingredient: an amazing team of young volunteers.
The 2019 edition of the Minus18 Adelaide Queer Formal will be no different – and we're currently recruiting vollies to help us bring the sparkliest night of the year to life. It's an incredible night to be a part of, and we absolutely cannot wait!
If you're between the ages of 21 and 28, and you're available on the evening/night of Saturday 23 November, we'd love to hear from you.
Wait, wait, wait. What's Queer Formal?
It's a night for LGBTIQ+ young people (aged 13 to 19) to have the time of their lives – a night to truly be themselves. Wearing what they want, bringing the date they want to bring, and celebrating with other young queer people. It's the most wonderful, celebratory night out, and we LOVE hosting it every year. If you're keen on grabbing a ticket, they'll be available VERY soon.
So. What does a Minus18 volunteer get up to on the night? Roles and responsibilities span just about all aspects of the event, from scanning tickets to running the cloak room, from glitter station duty to hanging in the chill-out zone. We try to keep the roster moving along, so vollies don't spend the whole night on one station (and so there's plenty of scope for making new friends!).
A little bit about volunteering:
- We'll provide dinner and snacks!
- You're more than welcome to wear a sparkly and fun outfit during your shift!
- Minus18 will also provide detailed briefing, and a rundown of roles – which are generally pretty chill.
- Volunteers are scheduled a 30-minute break during their shift.
- Volunteers will be required to arrange their own travel to and from the event.
- We'll have a photographer roaming around, but if you don't want to be photographed (or have your images shared on social media), just let us know.
- You'll be well-supervised and supported on the night by the Minus18 team.
Who volunteers at Queer Formal?
All sorts of people! Previous attendees of Queer Formal, Minus18 event alumni, members of the LGBTIQ+ community, and straight allies. It's an amazing time. You'll feel the feels when attendees start arriving – the energy in the air is so welcoming, celebratory, and electric. Even as volunteers, the vibe is contagious!
I'm keen! What are the event details?
At a glance? You just need to be between 21 and 28, and available on Saturday 23 November. Queer Formal kicks off at 5pm and ends at 10pm. No specific skills necessary, just buckets of enthusiasm!