Young Leaders Program 2022/23
What is the Young Leaders Program?
The Young Leaders Program is for LGBTQIA+ young people, aged 18 to 25 years old. The program will run for 10 months, with sessions designed to develop the skills, confidence and experience to inspire the next generation of LGBTQIA+ youth, while playing a starring role in Minus18’s life-affirming events.
We’re looking for 20 enthusiastic young leaders to take part in our Melbourne-based program, launching October 2022.
- Who: We’re recruiting 20 x LGBTQIA+ young people aged 18 to 25
- Duration: 10 months
- Start date: 18 October 2022
- Timing: Standard QLAB times will be 2 hours, from 5pm - 7pm. Minus18 event times may vary.
Sessions: Each session, or ‘QLAB’ will be between 1-2 hours fortnightly on Tuesdays (between 5-7PM pending the individual session) and occasional weekend availability for Minus18 Events. To ensure Young Leaders get the most out of the program, we require a 90% attendance rate in order to graduate.
- Strengthen connection to the LGBTQIA+ community and sector
- Strengthen professional and personal development
- Provide access to professional opportunities to strengthen the pathway to employment
Minus18 Office, at the Victorian Pride Centre, 79-81 Fitzroy St, St Kilda VIC Additionally, this role will include some engagement at Minus18’s Melbourne- based events. Pending COVID-19 restrictions, some QLAB may be delivered online.
Appreciation: Young Leaders will be thanked with a $50 honorarium after attending each scheduled QLAB Session or Event to cover costs associated with your involvement
Access: This role will primarily be located at the Victorian Pride Centre in St Kilda; an exciting, purpose-built space for LGBTQIA+ community organisations.
This space includes:
- A raised Tram Stop within 100m from the building entrance.
- All Gender bathrooms
- Elevators and accessible bathrooms
- End of trip facilities.
- Dedicated prayer rooms
You should apply if you are:
- Are available Tuesdays from 5pm - 7pm
- Can commit to the duration of the 10 month program
- Looking to grow your personal leadership skills as an LGBTQIA+ young person
- Willing to engage with and develop leadership skills and confidence
- A good communicator and works collaboratively
- Passionate about helping LGBTQIA+ youth through programs and events
What you'll be doing in the program
1. Training & Up-skilling
This pillar is all about you and your development as a leader. We’ll design QLABs that provide you with the opportunity to understand and find confidence with your own leadership style, to build on the skills you have, and learn more about leadership in the LGBTQIA+ sector.
We’ll explore things like:
- How can I make spaces more inclusive, and why is that important?
- What does safe and effective LGBTQIA+ advocacy look like?
- How do I safely share my experience as a queer person? (at work, at home, wherever!)
These QLABs will be guided by Minus18 staff and feature special guests from the LGBTQIA+ community who are leaders within their field.
2. Creation & Implementation
This is where you’ll get to be part of the team that delivers Minus18’s life-affirming in-person and digital youth events. You’ll work with the Minus18 Event Coordinator to provide on-the-ground support at events, and implement those leadership skills that you’ll be working on within the program!
- Melbourne Queer Formal
- Midsumma Youth Dance Party
- Queer Crafternoon & Pride March
- Other digital event offerings
3. Socialising & Connecting
This is your chance to connect with the community. While there will be plenty of time to upskill and learn from expert guests, we will also provide you with the opportunity to connect with others in the Young Leaders program through interactive and fun social QLABs. We’ll mainly be based at the Victorian
Pride Centre, so there’ll be lots of chances to connect with LGBTQIA+ services located there too!
+ Extra Opportunities
You’ll have a front row seat to any extra paid opportunities from other orgs & friends of Minus18.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete the following:
- Complete this Google Form
- Include a short, pre-recorded video (maximum 2 minutes) introducing yourself, and what you’re hoping to get out of Minus18’s Young Leaders Program
- Want to download the full Young Leaders Program PDF? Grab it here
Please ensure your video is uploaded to a 3rd party service (such as YouTube, Dropbox etc) and shared via URL pasted into the relevant section on your Google Form.
Applications close Sunday 25 September 2022, 11.59pm. Early applications are highly encouraged.
What happens next?
- We’ll review all the applications and create a shortlist for interviews
- Shortlisted candidates will be involved in a small group interview with the team and other potential candidates. These will be conducted online. Interviews will take place across the Tuesday 4 October & Wednesday 5 October 2022.
- Successful candidates will be notified in early October
Please note: all successful applications must undergo a successful Working with Children Check and Police Background Check.
Minus18 is committed to promoting and advancing equal opportunity for young people, especially young people in our strategic priority groups (People of Colour, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people, and people with culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds). We encourage young people in our strategic priority groups to apply, and to let us know if any special assistance is required during the application process (including barriers to recording and uploading your video).
- Melbourne / Naarm
- Applications close
- Sunday 25 September 2022