Young Leaders Program
Introducing the Minus18 Young Leaders Program
The Young Leaders Program is for LGBTQIA+ young people, aged 18-25 years old. The program will run for 10 months, with sessions designed to develop the skills, confidence and experience to inspire the next generation of LGBTQIA+ youth, while playing a starring role in Minus18’s life-affirming events.
We’re looking for 20 enthusiastic young leaders to take part in our Melbourne-based program, launching October 2021.
A little about Minus18
Minus18 is Australia’s charity improving the lives of LGBTQIA+ youth. We support LGBTQIA+ young people through events and digital platforms, and provide fee for service LGBTQIA+ inclusion training to schools, businesses and community organisations. Since 2011 over 100,000 young people have engaged in these services across Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, and millions more via digital platforms.
Who: We’re recruiting 20 x LGBTQIA+ young people aged 18 to 25
Duration: 10 months
Sessions: Each session, or ‘QLab’ will be between 1-2 hours fortnightly on Thursdays (between 4-7PM pending the individual session) and occasional weekend availability for Minus18 Events. To ensure Young Leaders get the most out of the program, we require a 90% attendance rate in order to graduate.
- Strengthen professional and personal development
- Foster pathways into further volunteer and employment opportunities
- Strengthen connection to the LGBTQIA+ community and sector
- Minus18 Office, at the Victorian Pride Centre, 79-81 Fitzroy St, St Kilda VIC
- Additionally, this role will include some engagement at Minus18’s Melbourne based events.
- Pending COVID-19 restrictions, some QLabs may be delivered online.
Start Date: October 2021
Timing: Standard QLab times will be 2 hours, and fall somewhere between 4pm - 7pm,pending confirmed availability of successful candidates. Minus18 event times may vary.
Appreciation: Young Leaders will be thanked with a $50 honorarium after attending each scheduled QLab Session or Event to cover costs associated with your involvement
Access: This role will primarily be located at the Victorian Pride Centre in St Kilda; an exciting, purpose-built space for LGBTQIA+ community organisations opening in2021. This space includes:
- Raised tram stop within 100m of the building entrance
- All gender bathrooms
- Elevators and accessible bathrooms
- End of trip facilities
- Dedicated prayer rooms
You should apply if you are:
- Available across the QLabs and event dates
- Looking to grow your personal leadership skills as an LGBTQIA+ person
What you'll be doing in the program
1. Training & Upskilling
This pillar is all about you and your development as a leader. We’ll design QLABs that provide you with the opportunity to understand and find confidence with your own leadership style, to build on the skills you have, and learn more about leadership in the LGBTQIA+ sector.
We’ll explore things like:
- How can I make spaces more inclusive, and why is that important?
- What does safe and effective LGBTQIA+ advocacy look like?
- How do I safely share my experience as a queer person? (at work, at home, wherever!)
These QLABs will be guided by Minus18 staff and feature special guests from the LGBTQIA+ community who are leaders within their field.
2. Creation & Implementation
This is where you’ll get to be part of the team that delivers Minus18’s life-affirming in-person and digital youth events. You’ll work with the Minus18 Event Coordinator to provide on-the ground support at events, and implement those leadership skills that you’ll be working on within the program!
- Melbourne Queer Formal
- Midsumma Youth Dance Party
- Queer Crafternoon &
- Pride March Other digital event offerings
- you’ll work as a team to deliver an event designed by the Young Leaders!
3. Socialising & Connecting
This is your chance to connect with the community. While there will be plenty of time to upskill and learn from expert guests, we will also provide you with the opportunity to connect with others in the Young Leaders program through interactive and fun social QLABs.
We’ll mainly be based at the Victorian Pride Centre, so there’ll be lots of chances to connect with LGBTQIA+ services located there too!
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete the following
- Complete Google Form >>
- Include a short, pre-recorded video (maximum 2 minutes) introducing yourself, and what you’re hoping to get out of Minus18’s Young Leaders Program
Please ensure your video is uploaded to a 3rd party service (such as YouTube, Dropbox etc) and shared via URL pasted into the relevant section on your Google Form.
Applications close SUNDAY 19 SEPTEMBER, 12AM.
What happens next?
- We’ll review all the applications and create a shortlist for interviews
- Shortlisted candidates will be involved in a small group interview with the team and other potential candidates. These will be conducted online. Interviews will take place across the Thursday, 30th September & Friday, 1st October
- Successful candidates will be notified in early October
The Young Leaders Program is supported by VicHealth, and the Victorian Government.
- Applications close
- 19 September, 2021