Join the Board of Directors
Join our amazing Minus18 Board of Directors!
NOTE: Applications have been extended until 11.59pm Sunday 19 April 2020.
We’re excited to share a rare opportunity for diverse, passionate and committed volunteers to join our Board. The Board has ultimate collective responsibility for the strategy and governance of Minus18. Each Director also serves on one of our three Committees - Finance & Risk, Access & Inclusion, or People & Culture. Directors are also public advocates for Minus18, using their networks and expertise to support our mission to empower LGBTQIA+ youth.
Currently, we’re seeking candidates with experience in governance, start-up scaling and expansion. Young people keen to develop these skills are also strongly encouraged to apply. Networks and connections in the LGBTQIA+ and/or youth sectors are desirable.
Minus18 champions the role of diversity and inclusion in driving a high-performing team. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse lived experiences including transgender, gender diverse, femme/female, people of colour, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, neurodivergence, and people with disability.
Why Volunteer on our Board?
- Our dynamic start-up culture and unprecedented period of growth means your ideas, networks and commitment have a big impact on the whole organisation and its future.
- Social impact is at the forefront of everything we do. There’s nothing better than seeing the result of your volunteer hours put a smile on the face of an LGBTIQA+ young person or their family.
- We’re a supportive, collegiate Board with diverse skills and lived experiences, with a great relationship with our CEO.
Who we're looking for
Minus18 is committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive environment, and the role that diversity and inclusion has in driving a high-performing and sustainable organisation. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse lived experiences.
- Passionate about youth LGBTIQA+ empowerment and inclusion;
- Lived experience as a member of the LGBTIQA+ community;
- Start-up growth and scaling, change management, organisational growth and expansion;
- Demonstrated financial literacy (e.g. interpreting profit & loss statements, balance sheets or other financial documents);
- Excellent and proven time management skills, particularly an ability to manage deadlines and deliver projects in a voluntary/extracurricular/outside-of-work capacity;
- Working With Children Check (or willingness to obtain one);
- Aged 18+;
- Not disqualified from serving as a company director under the Corporations Act 2001.
- Established networks and contacts in the LGBTIQA+ and/or youth sector;
- Established networks and contacts for potential donors, partners and sponsors of Minus18;
- Experience on a Board or similar governance body;
- Lived experience as transgender, gender diverse, femme/female, a person of colour, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, neurodivergence or disability.
Your commitment to us:
- The initial term is until the next AGM (in around November 2020). Minus18’s constitution requires you to re-nominate for your position at the next AGM, which we encourage you to do with a view to committing to at least 2 years on the Board;
Commit to attending (in person or by video) the following meetings:
- Monthly Board meeting (first Tuesday of the month, 6:30-8pm);
- Quarterly Committee meeting (flexible roster, usually weeknights or weekends);
- Bi-annual Board training/planning day (flexible roster, usually weekends).
- Commit to participating in one of the Board’s three Committees: People & Culture, Finance & Risk, or Access & Inclusion (please indicate your preference in your application);
- Set aside regular time (avg. 1-2 hours per week) to monitor and respond to email correspondence;
- Proactively use your networks and contacts to further the mission and reputation of Minus18;
- Develop and execute strategic projects, initiatives and reforms to further the mission of Minus18;
- Work collaboratively in a small team, meeting deadlines and communicating effectively;
- Support the positive, collegiate and inclusive culture of Minus18; and
- Adhere to strict ethical and legal duties (see PDF link)
Please email Nick Bassett, Secretary, at email@example.com with your CV and a short cover letter or video setting out how you meet the selection criteria by 11.59pm Sunday 19 April 2020. No extensions will be given. For any questions about the position, please contact Gemma Hallett, Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications close
- Sunday 19 April